How can you help your child find a STEM mentor?
Science is social; sharing ideas can lead to better solutions. How do you help your child collaborate with others?
- Bounce ideas off of friends and family members. Encourage people to give constructive criticism.
- One mom said that XBOX Live has helped her con work with others and build stuff. My son talks on Skype with his friends as they play Minecraft and other online games.
- Talk to them about how it helps to have a team of friends supporting them if they want to accomplish big things.
- Pitch an idea to a local company and solve a problem for them.
- Have them on STEM teams-- robotics, Science Olympiad, Odyssey of the Mind, etc.
- Keep in mind that socialization need not apply only to a child's age/grade peers.
|Image via Krissy Venosdale, Venspired.com|
How do you get your child to see him or herself as a scientist?
I Am Science from Mindy Weisberger on Vimeo.
Like The Maker Mom on Facebook. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter. Follow us on Pinterest and YouTube. Follow The Maker Mom on Google+.