The 2014-15 Competition Topic is...Feeding Future Cities!
What a timely topic. I've seen several recent articles devoted to urban agriculture. Hubs even wants to put one of these in our basement. For now we have one of these. At any rate, I think it's pretty exciting and I'm a fan of Future City.
I like Future City because:
- It's an exciting event that bring invites research in science and technology as well as engineering.
- It encourages kids to think about their role in shaping an awesome and sustainable future.
- There are a lot of girls involved- perhaps they are drawn by the creative and narrative elements?
- It's a relatively low-budget event. Teams are supposed to creatively upcycle materials for their model and are limited to a budget of $100.
- Related to other team STEM competitions, there's a low barrier to entry. It's only $25 to register a team!
- Teams get paired with actual engineers to mentor them.
- Generous sponsors ensure that most expenses are covered for teams that make it to the national competition--we're talking airfare, hotel and many meals.
Like The Maker Mom on Facebook. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter. Follow us on Pinterest and YouTube. Follow The Maker Mom on Google+.